Sunday 1 February 2009

Rescued by a Big Bear!

Just when I thought we we were going to be stranded for the whole night, along came our salvation in a large and very furry form. We were standing at the side of the road on a little patch of grass with the chicks doing what chicks do (scratching around looking for something, probably disgusting, to eat). I had my hands full keeping them from straying onto the road, and keeping Bucky from chewing at the telephone poles (that would have been a disaster!). So I didn't notice a cheery grey van coming along the road with Mr Bear at the wheel. He could obviously tell that I was in difficulties, because he pulled in at the side of the road, and asked if he could help. I explained the situation, and he smiled and said that he would give us all a ride home in his lovely van. We all piled in - chicks in the back and Bucky and I in the front with Mr Bear. I was a bit worried about cart, but Mr Bear said that it would be safe there until the morning, when we could come back with Mr Blackberry to fix it.
We set off back to the village, and it was the most exciting ride I've ever had! You might think this is funny, but I've never been in a car before. Back in Labrador we mostly used canoes to get about on the lakes, and here in Sylvania there isn't much call for cars. But I thought it was wonderful. Mr Bear said that his van isn't a very new one - he called it Austin, but I don't know if that's the make or his pet name for it. Anyway I think it's great and now I want drive one! Mr Bear said that I am too small, and it's true that my paws don't quite reach the pedals. But once we'd got the chicks back safe and sound in their hen house, I started trying to think about how I can learn to drive.

No comments: