Saturday 7 February 2009

First test run

Bucky and I finished our car and then we took it for our first test run. I sat at the front so that I could take charge of the rope that controls the steering - it does that waggling the bit of wood that the front wheels are attached to. We went to the top of the hill in the meadows just outside the village and positioned it carefully at a point where there is a long slope ending in a flat area with no trees to hit. Bucky tucked in behind me and we pushed off for our first run. I don't think I've ever been so fast! The grass rushed past us and all we could do was wave to a startled bunny who popped his head out of his burrow just as we hurtled by. As the slope finished we started to slow down, but I'm not sure how far we would have got it was not for the fact that a front wheel lodged in a mole hill. Just as Bucky and I were congratulating each other on a successful test, out popped a highly disgruntled mole. "Bo Urr, it took oi hours to build that gurrt hill" he said " and youm 'ave bashed in down in no toime at all. Oi 'ope as ow you've got insurance", he said with a cash-related gleam in his eye. I think that he was just being an opportunist, as moles don't really live in their hills anyway - it's just soil out of their tunnels - but Bucky decided to placate him with a couple of worms he'd "found" in his pocket. I'd wandered what that little beaver had been up to while I was setting the cart up at the top of the hill! A word of advice - never put your hand in a beaver's pocket without first checking its contents!

After this we had a couple more test runs, but it was very hard work pulling the cart back up the hill. We decided that we needed some other form of propulsion - but where could we find a suitable source of power when we don't know anything about engines?

No comments: