Wednesday 30 January 2008

Digging up the Past


I bet you thought that us pups only dig holes so that we can bury bones. Well not so - some of us are archaeologists now. Well one this one is anyway. I followed Endeavour round to the other side of the castle wall, and there was a whole team of people carefully digging and scraping away in a hole in the ground. At first, I thought they were all just playing it the muck, and, as that's a favourite thing amongst pups of all ages, I jumped in and started to scrabble around madly. I got quite a telling off, I can tell you. Apparently, Endeavour's detector had revealed signs that there might be hidden remains in this part of the castle, and I had pounced right into the trench where they were trying to find it. Apparently it's very bad form to jump into an archaeologist's trench without first acting permission, and even worse to start scrabbling with your forepaws and covering the site director in soil.

So I was feeling a rather sad and sorry pup when suddenly one of the team cried out. It turned out that my mad scrabbling had actually uncovered part of a low wall and that was just what they were looking for. As you can see from the picture, I was allowed to stay and help while they cleaned up and revealed the remains. It's all very interesting, and I hope we will soon know what it is we have found. Apparently the next stage in my training would involve wearing a striped jumper and meeting someone called Tony, but I'm not too sure about that. I'm not sure that I'm patient enough for this job!

No comments: