Sunday 9 November 2008

Peril on the Pond!

Everything started out really well. I thought we would be going out in a traditional Canadian canoe or a kayak, but Little Tail had arranged to borrow a friend's rowing boat. It was a lovely little boat, painted yellow and white, with two oars and just enough room for two small animals to share. Well, I say "just enough" - that was true as long as everybody stayed sitting down. The problem started when I decided to try fishing over the side. After a very short time, I felt a tug on my line - I had a catch! In my excitement I stood up to get a better view and that's when the boat started to wobble. I wobbled forwards first, and thinking that the fish was going to tug me in, I let go of my rod. Unfortunately, that just made me lurch backwards, and that was too much. Splosh! I went straight into the water. Once in the water, I remembered to keep calm and do a doggie paddle to keep myself afloat. I had to kick my wellies off, as they filled up with water, and my paws feel very heavy. Little Tail also kept very calm and steered the boat to keep close to me, and very soon he was helping me back on to the boat. For a few seconds, all he had to worry about was whether I would shake off all my wet fur on him, but then the boat started to wobble all over again. Apparently ( we found this out later) it's best to help someone back into a boat over the stern - that's the back end - as it makes it less like to tip over. Would the boat tip over all over again? You'll have to wait until next time to find out what happened!

No comments: