Sunday 17 August 2008

A very exciting outing


Today I went on a train for the first time ever! There is a little steam railway not far from us that takes people on outings during the summer. The surroundings are very pretty, and, as it was a nice warm day, Bucky, Kevin and I decided to give it a try. In the picture, you can see the three of us waiting patiently on the platform. Well at least, I was waiting patiently - I'm sorry to report that the other two were not quite so well-behaved. Bucky had to be warned against gnawing on the wooden bits of the station building, and as for Kevin! I don't want to say too much, but I don't think scrounging biscuit crumbs off other passengers is the correct behaviour for a well brought up chicken. Free range is one thing, but there have to be limits.

Anyway, after a while the train drew into the platform. The driver was very nice and let me stand on the footplate (that's what the driver's cab is called) for a little while. I wasn't allowed there for the actual journey of course - and to be honest it's just as well. It might be a very small engine, but it was really fast! It's a pity you weren't there to see me.



No comments: