Wednesday 6 February 2008

Stowaway!



I went back to my cabin again this morning, and guess what? There was another pile of sawdust and wood chips all over the front step. I was about to stomp off and find my brush to sweep up again, when I heard a noise from inside the cabin. "Right!" I thought, and grabbing my brush in case there was a fierce animal inside, I poked my nose warily through the doorway. There in the dark back corner of the cabin, was a pair of small bright eyes. There was a small squeak, and deciding that such noises don't usually come from dangerous animals, I said "Come on out whoever you are. I won't hurt you" and I put down my brush.

A few seconds later a small, worried face appeared at the door. It was a baby beaver! I've never been so surprised, and I think he was too. We sat down together, and he told me his name is Bucky and he comes from Canada just like me. At the moment, it's a complete mystery how he got here - my only theory is that he stowed away in the logs that the cabin was made out of.

Anyway, he's really a very nice little chap, and I'm sure we can find somewhere for him to live. As he's a fellow Canadian, I hope he come and stay with me. But in the meantime, I've got one big problem - how do I stop him chewing everything?

No comments: